Apple Pies!

  Oh gosh, a week has gone by since I last posted here! I was talking to a friend of mine today and related the fact that when I first started teaching long ago, I would come home totally wiped out on Friday. My roommate was a nurse and many, many Fridays she would come home and find me sound asleep on the couch! She could not believe that my job was more physically exhausting than hers and would often shake her head over my Friday after school naps! Well, I STILL continue to need those Friday after-school naps! My favorite TGIF activity is changing into comfy clothes, collapsing on the couch, waking up, ordering pizza and watching a Netflix movie!
  So, I am guessing that part of the reason that I am so tired is that my students and I made apple pie today! I do not have an aide and I made this decision late last night so there was no time to get a parent volunteer, so I was on my own with 17 sweet kinders!

  We read "The Apple Pie Tree" by Zoe Hall last week.  There are so many ways to use "The Apple Pie Tree". The first thing we did was talk about the seasons of the apple tree.The children made an apple tree seasons book. I found this great You Tube video that sings the seasons of the apple tree. Here is one of my little kinders holding up the cover of her seasons book.
At the end of the story, the children make apple pie with their mother. So that is what we did today! We did not use the recipe at the end of the book; although it looks yummy! Instead we made this abbreviated version!

You need:
Flaky biscuits - one for each child
Mini aluminum pans - one for each child
Apple pie filling
Cinnamon sugar
Plastic spoons - one for each child
Waxed paper
A place to bake the pies

1.  Separate the biscuit into 2 parts. Put one part on waxed paper. Set aside the other part.
2.  Students use the palm of their hand to pound the biscuit. I tell them to use their palm; not their fist!
3.  Place the flat biscuit in the bottom of the pie pan.
4.  Children scoop pie filling into the pan using plastic spoons.

5.  Using the set aside biscuit half, spread over the top of the pie filling.
6. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 13 - 17 minutes.

 When the pies cooled, the children glued a construction paper apple onto a white paper bag and we closed the bag with a staple. The children took them home, so I cannot tell you whether they enjoyed them or not! I told them to take them home and share with their family!
 I was lucky because I could use our church kitchen to bake the pies. But another alternative would be to use a toaster oven in your classroom. If you had helpers, you could ask them to take care of the baking which would be even better!

Until next time!

Peace and blessings,



5 comments

  1. Oh my gosh that is so sweet!! We made applesauce as a class and it was so much fun. I love that you decided the night before your lesson that you were going to make apple pie- and then did it! That is one of my favorite things about teaching in a Catholic School, our schedules are much more flexilbe!! I love following your blog and all your great stories, keep up the great work!!

    Lauren C
    www.kinder-friends.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lauren! Yes, that is what I do - I often make changes to my plan the night before! Another reason why my personal laminator is my best friend! We are making applesauce next week - at least that is what my plans say! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your apple stuff!!! We are doing apples this week coming up so you gave me tons of ideas to use! Thanks!

    I'm your newest follower. I hope you can hop on over and follow me too! :)

    Elizabeth
    Mrs. Hodge and Her Kindergarten Kids

    ReplyDelete
  4. No wonder you are so tired! How fun to bake apple pies, but I am sure it wore you out! I like your easier recipe for the pie.
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori, I was worn out at the end of the day, but the kids had a great time, so it was worth it! When I told my little ones that I was taking pictures so their Moms and Dads could see how they made their pie, one little girl said "Good! Because my Mom has never made a pie before!" Great fun!

    ReplyDelete